Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 18, 2012


Hi!

     My name is Kathy Sellers and I am an Interdisciplinary Studies major focusing on women’s studies with a minor in sociology. I have just transferred from SSC making this my first semester at UCF. This is my second time around for college; it’s taken me a few years to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I was born and raised in Cincinnati and moved to Key West when I was 22 where I eventually met my husband of 21 years, Bob. After deciding we did not want to raise a family in Key West, the school system is not very good and the cost of living is quite high, we had the opportunity to move so we picked Orlando. We have two children, Brittney 20 and Nathan 15. We still try to visit Key West at least once a year, it is still my favorite place and we have family there.

     I spent several years at NationsBank as a customer service manager which I grew to hate because of the focus on sales, then I was the Ecommerce manager for Barnies Coffee but was downsized and then did payroll for a construction company but was laid off in 2010. After that I decided it was time for change and decided to go back to school. I am very lucky; I have had the support and help from my family to be able to do this.

     I received my AA is sociology and until recently I wasn’t sure where to go from there. When I met with a direct connect advisor she helped me throw some ideas around and told me about women’s studies that caught my attention.  After working in the corporate world for quite some time I have seen and experienced many forms of inequality and prejudices. I have been in management positions and had men under me make more money and I have had to prove myself much more than the men around me. I have also experienced negative views in volunteer youth sports activities and boards.  These experiences have made me want to take a path where I can mentor and inspire women to reach their potential and goals, hopefully through some type of nonprofit.

     I am looking forward to what I can take from this class and how I will be able to apply it in whatever path I take. I am also looking for some answers as to why women and men behave the way they do in leadership positions. I am also curious as to why leadership qualities need to be categorized as masculine or feminine.



I have read, understand and agree to the terms of the course and blogging protocol outlined in the syllabus.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,
    Welcome to the course and thanks for sharing. We will get at the heart of many of your leadership questions!

    ReplyDelete